Archive for the ‘Thailand News’ Category


Movenpick announces three new projects for Thailand

October 14th, 2010Posted by admin

The Swiss-based company plans to open new properties in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui and operate five hotels in the country by 2014. Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts announced today plans for three new properties in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui during the next three years, signalling a solid period of strategic Asian expansion […]

Trade surplus adds to Thailand’s currency pressures

September 21st, 2010Posted by admin

The Thai baht has been on a roll this year, and remains near its highest level in 13 years against the dollar. Today’s export figures should increase the momentum. They show that the strong currency hasn’t hit exports – in fact, exports rose sharply in August, led by cars and electronics, and July’s trade deficit […]

Samui taking flight again

August 30th, 2010Posted by admin

After taking a hard hit during the global slump, the island resort is showing strong signs of a recovery. The controversy over oil exploration off the coast of Koh Samui does not seem to have dented tourism on the island. The number of visitors increased by 19% in the first half of 2010 compared with […]

Samui hotels up USD25.5 million in Q1 of 2010

August 28th, 2010Posted by admin

A sharp upswing in visitor arrivals to the resort island of Koh Samui translated into a USD25.5 million increase in hotel room revenue in the first six months of this year compared to H1 2009, according to research by leading consulting firm C9 Hotelworks’ Samui 2010 Hotel Market Update. C9 Hotelworks’ Managing Director, Bill Barnett, […]

Thai & Tiger Airways to launch “Thai Tiger” new low fare airline in Bangkok

August 28th, 2010Posted by admin

Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI) and Tiger Airways Holdings Limited today announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding to form a new low fare airline called Thai Tiger Airways Private Limited. The new airline will operate the same low fare, low cost model as the other airlines in the Tiger Airways Group, […]

Total visitor arrivals in first half 2010 still up 13%

August 28th, 2010Posted by admin

In spite of the sharp declines in arrivals during the political crisis months of May and June 2010, international visitor arrivals in the first four months of this year were still high enough to allow the country to enjoy a 13.70% increase in total arrivals in the first half. Figures tabulated by the Ministry of […]

Bt63 billion expansion of Suvarnabhumi Airport approved

August 25th, 2010Posted by admin

The Cabinet has given its green light for the Bt63 billion expansion plan for Suvarnabhumi Airport, Transport Minister Sophon Saram said on Tuesday. The expansion is under a phase II development plan of the airport with tie-over budget spread from next fiscal year to 2016, Sopon said. The plan covers additional facilities for passenger terminal, […]

Foreign tourist figures in Thailand mounting continuously

August 4th, 2010Posted by admin

The number of foreign tourists travelling to Thailand from 1 to 29 July 2010 rises by 12.7% compared to the same period of last year, according to Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor, Suraphon Svetasreni. Mr Suraphon reported a brighter outlook for the domestic tourism climate, notably the 40% growth in the number of foreign […]

Mark Mobius: The Outlook for Emerging Markets

July 29th, 2010Posted by admin

TIME: As the world struggles with economic recovery, what’s happening with emerging stock markets? Mark Mobius: The emerging markets were hit in 2008 and 2009 by the subprime crisis, then we had this incredible turnaround with markets recovering by an average of 60% in one year, and some markets went up by 100%. Also, this […]